Leadership Team Devotions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship.

+4
andypark17
joseph
2juliajaypm1164
julian
8 posters

Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship. Empty Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship.

Post  julian Sun May 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Hey guys. Again, no one's started the topic, so I'll break the ice and... let the rants or discussions begin! Smile

Sermon Notes:

Topic: Commandment #2 - No Idols.

We see Christianity as a religion of faith; we see Abraham as a father of faith. But, what exactly IS faith?

Defined in Hebrews 11:1: Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Question: Would it be great if we could see God?

What constitutes an idol? A material effigy that is worshipped defines an idol. Well, it is something that IS made, correct?

To "make" in Hebrew really means to cut/shape something out of STONE that represents a DEITY.

Remember Aaron? What did he do, I wonder.... He made the CALF.

Some idols that we tend to worship:

1) Music: Exodus 15 (shows an example).
A lot of the time, music isn't used to glorify God, but it is used just for the satisfaction of many people. Like Pastor Moses said, there are many churches that focus solely on worship to perfection. This can even go before God, which is the sad part.

[Personal reflection]: Truly, I struggle with this a lot. Music is one of the things that keeps me alive, aside from the grace and mercy of God. Sadly, I've been telling myself I'd follow God when I don't. When I tell myself that I would study in music, I did it. I've gotten music theory, and I work to perfection in my compositions. I need to stress to myself that God MUST come first in my life. It would be for my own benefit - that music would not be worshipped alongside God. Music might be a means to worship God, but should not come before him, of course. Before music came God!

Matt Redman even said this too: "Are we worshipping God, or are we worshipping worship..."

2) Spiritual Encounters as Idols:

[Personal Reflection]: I know Pastor Moses gave the example of his church fifteen years ago; that on the last day of a retreat, there would be continuous prayer as well as intense worship going on. But sometimes, there might be individuals who go and say things like "WORSHIP HARDER". To me, I feel quite offended by this. Some students are quieter than others, and it is because God made them that way. Everyone is meant to do something extraordinary - that is why we're all here every Sunday. But then not all extraordinary things are so noticeable... and everyone could have their own ways of worship. Some feel comfortable speaking in tongues. Some don't. I've prayed in tongues, when I did feel so filled with the holy spirit. Some just don't feel uncomfortable doing it. If one doesn't respect another's beliefs, HOW ARE WE A CHURCH? This just becomes yet another idol...

Now, look at the cross. Without Jesus, the cross would only represent two pieces of wood. The cross symbolically represents so many things; the house of God; the sacrifice of Christ.

Consider the price of idol worship. It might be "fun" to sin. Idol worshipping is a sin. The price we pay ultimately I believe lies within the fig tree parable. If we don't produce good fruit, we're useless. Producing bad fruit comes from these pesticides. In essence, idol worshipping is symbolically a pesticide. We lose our connection with God. Note that our God is a righteously jealous God, that he does not want to be worshipped alongside something that is ungodly.

I think the point is really to not worship creation, but to worship the creator.

Hope that helps.

Julian.
julian
julian

Back to top Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship. Empty Sunday's service:)

Post  2juliajaypm1164 Sun May 16, 2010 4:15 pm

Well, today's sermon was really helpful for me, i think it came at a really good time to be spoken for me.
Uhhhh
it was about how not to idolize (is that how you spell it? Razz) all the "God's" we have in our life, maybe school, or work or status, whatever it is, it needs to be put aside, or at least after God.
I like how Pastor Moses said that quote Matt Redman, are we worshiping God? or are we worshiping worship? i think that when praise starts at a retreat or just service that everyone is more into it than the actual message it self, and it should be the other way around, that God does appreciate the jumping and singing and dancing but is it really for him?
When i heard that quote it really got to me, i look back on all the times i rose my hands up for God during worshiping, and was it actually for him?
Confusinggggg!
ahah
i have many "Idols" in my life, um probably going out to much, having too much fun. Takes up a lot of my time and i do not want it to interfere with my relationship with God.
Umm another one is probably music, i constantly have music on, in the car, computer, while watching tv, reading, like everywhere i go.
If i don't have music around me, i feel incomplete Neutral ahah

That's probably it for me:)
P.s sorry that i haven't been doing all my devotions, i don't even know why i don't do them.
and if there is a retreat job that needs help or that i can do, just hollerrrr:)

<3

2juliajaypm1164

Back to top Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship. Empty Re: Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship.

Post  joseph Sun May 16, 2010 5:13 pm

Hey guys, whats up!

So today, pastor moses talks about the second commandment of the ten which is No Idols! Now, as moses said, the meaning No Idols does not only mean other religion or other Gods but things that keeps are relationship with God far apart. Such as drugs, video games, money, even friends, friends who may be a bad influence etc. Now let me tell you why friends may be an idol. Sometimes, people may choose over their friends rather than God because they can physically see them but cannot physically see God. This is when faith comes in, as moses talked about today. Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1). I like it how moses starts with faith and ends with No idols because in order to have no idols you must have faith. If you have idols in your life than you have not reached God yet which means you dont have faith because in order to reach God, you need faith, right! Correct me if im wrong guys! This message really stood out to me because, honestly i really never thought of it that way. But now i do. It showed me what kind of person i am right now or was before.

AMEN!!!!

keep up with devos guys!
joseph
joseph

Back to top Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship. Empty Re: Sunday Service Reflection: [May 16, 2010]: Creation, or the Creator - Idol Worship.

Post  andypark17 Sun May 16, 2010 7:19 pm

hey guys.. first post

uhhh interesting sermon today. I'm 100% sure that everyone has an idol in their lives somewhere and at some point. I think the way our society is shaped, it allows people to have more idols and more things to worship. There are so many things to worship and its so easy as well, from sports to school.. It is extremely difficult to avoid them and its hard to stop the worship once you get in to it. Someone mentioned this during ohana or sermon but i think the best way to deal with idols is to worship god even more, so by doing devotions, having quiet time and by praying we limit the allowance of idols in to our lives and put God as the center.

andypark17

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifersoomihong Sun May 16, 2010 9:12 pm

helloo,,
gah i think im getting sick ><
i have so much work... yet i did none during the weekend :/ that was smart of me ahaaha
IDOLISM--- is that how you spell it?
anywhoo i also believe that everyone has at least one idol in thier lives, and that it is soooo difficult to try to avoid being obsessed over something. i think its in our nature? but we can try try and try again to keep our love of god and our relationship with god strong, so that when idols come along, we will have god to help us stay away and we will have the willpower and the faith to not let it rule our worlds. even pastors have idols in thier lives so i know that trying not to ave an idol at all is difficult, so the most we can do is to try and keep in touch with god and stay as close to him as possible. becuase he is and will be the only one who can get us out of that kind of a situation. I love you
im off to bed! have a wonderful sleep everyone cheers
jennifersoomihong
jennifersoomihong

Back to top Go down

Post  ESTHERshim Sun May 16, 2010 9:57 pm

REFLECTION

so mine's on the km service.
the pastor talked about this quote: "give a man dduk if he's a bad person, and give him a beating if he's good" ...that's how the quote went right jenn?
so anyways! we learned about how people with strong faith in god should be kept accountable and should always know their place. While those weak in their faith should be given gifts to show them what god can do for them. i thought was kinda controversial Suspect for the fact that..why should those weak in faith be shown all these kinds of miracles? but i agree with how it works as well. ok i get it. Smile
we also watched this really sad clip about mission trips. This man was killed by natives when he was trying to save them. i tried not to cry because that would have been embarrassing Very Happy

have a good monday geek

ESTHERshim

Back to top Go down

Post  Soojala Sun May 16, 2010 10:18 pm

Thanks Julian for doing all the hard work you do. You probably work the hardest in the team and you don't gain enough recognition for it. Kudos to you! Smile
and cute picture Jennifer!!

Well, i'm just going to say it straight out:

The reason why our leadership team is sucking right now is because of the idols in our lives. Hmm, ironic about today's sermon. I don't know what everyone's idols are and I'm here to listen if you guys got any BUT we need to control them because- that is the reason why our leadership team is:

A. Not functioning well
B. falling apart
C. gets nothing done.

So, I'm asking you to set your priorities straight. If you don't want to be in leadership then I'm cool with that. Tell me instead of deciding to stand up Joseph at a meeting, because that's plain rude.
I just spelled everything out for you guys last week, and i'm doing it again.

Joseph and I feel like we're talking to a dead wall. I hope God doesn't feel the same because then that makes me question was Sam actually meant to you guys.

Soojala

Back to top Go down

Post  julian Mon May 17, 2010 5:21 pm

To Jennifer, it's idolatry... I never heard of Idolism. Ahha.

Kudos to you too Suji, for stressing things out again...
I know every one of us has gifts that can be used for the church, so don't feel discouraged. If we want to stand as lights of the world, we have to act on it! Smile
julian
julian

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph.p Mon May 17, 2010 9:43 pm

I didnt know we had to do this on Sunday so i will do it now D:
Sorry
Reflection

What we learned on Sunday, was the second commandment "No Idols".
All of us today have an idol in our life besides God. It may be things that take over life just like Moses said. Idol can even overcome and overpower us on top of God making us drift away further and further away. But just like Jennifer said, if we make our relationship stronger with God, we will have the willpower to avoid our idols with confidence for God. Like me, my idol used to be games. Basically when i got home i was just a couch potato all the time. But ever since i joined the team, and devoted my Christian walk to this church, i have been more active with God.

so yeah
PCE Laughing
joseph.p
joseph.p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down