Leadership Team Devotions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD!

5 posters

Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD! Empty Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD!

Post  julian Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:38 pm

HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD.
This is the first commandment God gives us that doesn't directly center around him. This one is about us humans.

Exodus 20:12:
Honor your father and your mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.

How should we? How CAN we?

1) SHOW THEM HONOUR.

What is honour?
Honour comes from the word "Teemay" - it could be written as Timae - TIME.

Ephesians 6:2-3: 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.

1 Timothy 5:17: 17The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.

Scripture instructs us to give them honour, by giving them time, for what they have given us. [reflection]: I mean, my parents gave me quite a lot. I can say that I've been spoiled. But it's because they love me so much that they do it for me.... this makes me cry sometimes, because I feel hopeless that I can't give them anything incomparable. I mentioned in the prayer requests discussion that I often disobey them. This really hit me hard. My parents spend time with me - why can't I spend time with them? What I did today was actually ask them how they were. This actually made them feel somewhat happy, which is a good thing. Anyway...

Check on their needs, for this reason: SPEND TIME.

- Give them a hug,
- or tell them that you love them - when you can Smile

Mother Teresa even said this: "There are many dying for a piece of bread, but more are dying for just a little love.

[Relfection]: I think that love is something that exceeds the measurement of humans. It is something that we ultimately desire from God - from our parents - from our close ones. I'd rather starve yet be loved by my friends, family, and God, rather than eat but be unloved. I think it is something worthwhile. Very Happy Love is everlasting as God has given this to us as a gift. Food is only something temporarily existing. It can't last forever, now that I think about it.

2) HELP THEM OUT!

1 Timothy 5:
- Instructions to widows - GIVE PROPER RECOGNITION TO THEM!

It's not good taking care of the external needs of the family. THE INTERNAL NEEDS ARE MORE IMPORTANT.

[Relfection]: This is definitely true. If we give something like money or something that is worldly, we're not really taking care of their needs. I think our parents would rather have us get good grades and say that we love them, rather than earning top 100s and never even have a simple conversation with them. Sometimes, our parents want to talk to US. Whatever the case, meet the needs of the heart - what it is that they TRULY desire.

3) Give them proper recognition and provide it today.

John 19:25-27;

25Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, "Dear woman, here is your son," 27and to the disciple, "Here is your mother." From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

Jesus was so busy. He was busy healing the sins of the Israelites. THAT is his excuse. What is ours?

Response: I think that we don't have an excuse. We have all the time in the world. Spending fifteen minutes with your parents to recognize them wouldn't hurt, out of the entire schedule we spend doing other worldly things. We need to change that.

4) Hearing them Out.

Proverbs 1:8:
Proverbs 6:20:
Proverbs 15:20:

LISTEN TO YOUR PARENTS. They have the best interest in us. No matter how strict it might seem, it's all about trusting them - I'm sure they went through similar things, and understand us more than we could.

5) It all comes with a promise:

WE WILL LIVE A LONG LIFE THAT GOD WILL LET US LIVE.
julian
julian

Back to top Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD! Empty Re: Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD!

Post  joseph.p Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:00 pm

hey Smile
todays sermon was on the 5th
thats right 5th commandment.
Honour your mother and father.

This commandment is the first one to ever be set apart from God. Meaning that God has no existence in this commandment.
A very important verse in the bible for this commandment is
Exodus 6:2
Honour your father and mother, so that you may live long in the land the LORD your God is giving you.
Just like pastor Moses said, to put a smile on their faces you not only bring them a 97% on a test but do things they need help in or very simple things such as a hug or say i love you Smile awww

Parents put all their time money and strength upon us and we give them nothing. Now its time for us to step up and put the smile on their face. Like today i washed the dishes for my mom Very Happy
SO PEOPLE
HONOR YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER!!!!!!!!!
VERY IMPORTANT!!!

peace afro
joseph.p
joseph.p

Back to top Go down

Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD! Empty Re: Sunday Service Reflection: [June 6, 2010] - HONOUR YOUR MOM AND DAD!

Post  ESTHERshim Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:14 pm

so moses's my fb friend now, just sayin Smile
it's gonna be short. i have an exam tomorrow Sad
wish me luck!

REFLECTION ON THE SERMON

honour your mother and father. i think the bottom line is that we should give our quality time up for them. They're worth it. They deserve the best from us everyday. Even though they piss us off alot, we should put in that little effort to let it go. They're not perfect so why should we expect that? i think we should show our love for them at least ONCE a day this week, and see how that goes! Wink

have a good monday!
victor: what's your dares?

ESTHERshim

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifersoomihong Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:21 pm

OMIGOSH. i just wrote out a whole paragraph of stuff .... and the computer deleted it!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad woooowww im not writing that all out again,,, but im going to say, that i will try WAY HARDER to respect my parents and give them what they deserve Smile okie dokie!
O YEAH were there dares today???
ANYWHOOOO GOODNIGHT PEOPLE I love you
jennifersoomihong
jennifersoomihong

Back to top Go down

Post  Soojala Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Must say that Pastor Moses's sermon today was pretty relevating. I haven't been in a bad mess with my parents but not a perfect one, especially with university and such.

Honour your Mom and Dad. I remember learning that in Sunday School but I didn't think it was any different from society teaching children to listen to what your parents say. You know, in those Arthur episodes and public school morning lessons.

I ignored the word, "honour" but in my growth of my relationship with God, I came to understand what God was specifically commanding us to do.
He was commanding us to priortize, save time for, cook the dinner for, clean the house for, study for, work for and especially set time for our omas and apas. Not only because they love us, and have worked so hard to provide a life for us in Canada- but because they love us in the way God has taught them to.

Soojala

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph.p Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:40 pm

JENNIFERR!
no dares lol
its for the retreat ahha
joseph.p
joseph.p

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down