Leadership Team Devotions
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Timothy 5: [May 15, 2010]

+2
joseph.p
julian
6 posters

Go down

1 Timothy 5: [May 15, 2010] Empty 1 Timothy 5: [May 15, 2010]

Post  julian Sat May 15, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm sure that we're supposed to do devotions on Saturdays too... so I'm going to post my response. I'd like to hear more from a lot of you guys (especially the ones who haven't even posted on the forum yet... which I find disappointing.) Anyway, I hope things are going well with all of you! Smile

The main point of the subject I find is how to treat other people, depending on the situation. The chapter gives the following primary examples:

1) Older men
2) Younger men... but most importantly,
3) WIDOWS.

It almost focuses on the entity of A WIDOW, not so much to the other two listed. Really, I'm guessing it's because in context, widows were either unrecognized or disliked. But from verses four to eight, I suppose they really apply to other people.

It demonstrates how the widows put their spiritual gifts and God's knowledge into practice. We learn from James that "faith without works is dead"; the fact that anyone would do this would apply the knowledge. As I say quite a lot, I find that we have EVERYTHING we need; all we need to do is take action! Smile

But it also shows that living for oneself - for personal pleasure - does not glorify God in any way and is "dead". Clearly, we do things like this all the time, and praise the Lord that we still are alive. But if you recall, Sam talked about a fig tree parable; that later, if we don't produce good fruit, we WILL be cut off, or more like blocked off, from God. This applies to all of us, guys! We all fall into temptation daily, and we all do ungodly things; I mean, we aren't perfect, but it does not mean we give up. If you seek, God will give us strength to succeed!

I find that from verses eleven to fifteen, my prediction, in fact, came true. The older widows were unappreciated while the younger "widows" were rebuked and disliked upon.

As for the elders, it shows that it is good to respect them. Although a "traditional" Korean family might be somewhat strict and very against the beliefs of Christianity, I find that we should respect them usually. I mean, our grandparents do have some knowledge that they may share with us. I find that to be great! But I find there's a limit to doing so. If one were to have grandparents that are just being depraved by sin, then I personally would not give them more respect than any other person. This is just personally what I feel. I don't mean to be cruel, but I find that with other individuals too. If they're just making fun of something I believe in, even though I don't hurt anyone, I find that to be very pitiful. Sorry to be really dark! Razz

I encourage everyone maybe to memorize verses twenty one, twenty-four, and twenty-five. I think these ones seem to help me in prayer, and that is a challenge even for me!

I would ask a question: I'm not too sure on the significance of wine that is in verse twenty-three. Is it because wine is symbolically the "blood of Christ"? Or does it represent Christ's works? I'm just curious, and like to know!

God bless!

Julian.

Jeremiah 29:11: For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Last edited by julian on Sun May 16, 2010 3:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
julian
julian

Back to top Go down

1 Timothy 5: [May 15, 2010] Empty Re: 1 Timothy 5: [May 15, 2010]

Post  joseph.p Sat May 15, 2010 7:44 pm

Hey guys!!
how is everyones weekend going?? Smile
JULIAN... why you write so much man..
hahaha
1 Timothy 5
Right at the start of the passage, it states that " do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity" All these verses agree to the term of all of us in the world are family. We are all one. Also if one of us hurt, we must all hurt because we are a family and must feel for everyone, enemy or friend.

Also as Julian stated, it talks about the Widow a lot. :S

At chapter 4 it says that But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God.
These verses states 1 of the 10 commandments. Obey your parents. Putting religion into practice by caring for family and the ones you love, will please God. Smile

HAVE A GOOD REST OF WEEKEND
PEACE
cheers cheers
joseph.p
joseph.p

Back to top Go down

Post  joseph Sat May 15, 2010 8:20 pm

Hey guys!

Julain beast my friend! Keep it up!

So for this chapter, i had some trouble on what to talk about, so im going to talk about whatever came up my mind after reading this chapter. This might not have any relevent to the chapter, well maybe, anyways here it is!

Basically, after reading this chapter, the 5th commandments of the Ten, Honor your father and mother simply came in my head for some reason. So basically in this chapter in the first few versus, it talked about treating other people as your brothers, sisters, fathers, mothers, am i right. In verse 1,2 it says, "Do not rebuke an older man harshly but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity". This is the verse where the 5th commandment kind of came in my head because, we must honor are parents for they are the ones, who cared for us and always loved us. Just like how God always cared and also loved us. And always will. Correct me if im wrong, The Lord says in order to love me, you must also love your parents. Its like saying, in order to get to God, you must get through Jesus first, right. So, honor your parents, as you would honor God.

AMEN!
joseph
joseph

Back to top Go down

Post  ESTHERshim Sat May 15, 2010 8:47 pm

1 TIMOTHY 5
Advice About Widows, Elders and Slaves
V1 "Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity."

For the young part: Verses 1-2 talk about how Timothy is exhorted to treat younger men as brothers, rather than as sons or children. Yet Paul often speaks of younger Christians and even Timothy, as his children. I think that Timothy was rather young and Paul may have considered it too condescending for him to treat younger men and women as children. But perhaps pastors should seriously consider whether they are treating their congregation in a too condescending manner as speaking with children rather than adults. Also, Paul adds "with absolute purity" when speaking of relationships with younger women, for though they are sisters in spirit, they are generally not sisters in the flesh.
Moreover, it talks about how to treat others the RIGHT way, not the way we think is RIGHT Idea

have a good tomorrow! I love you

ESTHERshim

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifersoomihong Sat May 15, 2010 9:09 pm

hellooooo team Smile
i went shopping today andddd i had funnnn Cool
what stuck out to me in this passage was that we should not rebuke the elderly.
i noticed that these days, i have been more resistant to my parents, and i have not been respecting them as much as they should be respected. i know they only do whatever they do so that i will turn out better as a person pirat so i should keep that in mind, even if they seem unreasonable and unfair. they are more wise, and even though i have the right to make my own choices, a lot of the time, i will need my parents advice and wisdom haha
well see you all tomorrow! Razz
jennifersoomihong
jennifersoomihong

Back to top Go down

Post  Soojala Sat May 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Man i am so tired from work after prom last night.
my feet kill!!

anyways. back to the bible. Smile

The verse that stood out to me most was the first:

"Do not rebuke an oldrer man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity."

It's important for us, as not only Christians but as God's reprsentatives that we treat people in a loving manner. Why? because we are kinda like...advertisers of what life is like following God. Am i wrong? I mean, people will judge a relationship with God first by analyzing us. The first step for them to become converted, is to be convinced by our warmth and personality. That way, they are convinced what we preach is ultimately the truth.

Soojala

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down